The first meeting with my clients always goes the same way - with a warning.
WARNING: I really don't sell miracle pills, it's hard work, we will change lifestyle, daily routine, etc... And that hurts. It hurts because it forces us out of our comfort zone.
It takes energy, time, attention. It takes courage to change what we've been used to doing for the last few years. It takes honesty to do all the tasks that help us to change the routine.
The reactions differs. The ones that don't have much chance of success are the following:
- It won't work that way because I'm used to doing this, this, this and this. I've always done it that way.
- I don't think so, because my partner...
- I can't do it - what are you going to do about it?
- Think of something else that's easy.
- That's an interesting thing to say, but my kids, they're used to...
- I didn't do the homework, but we can keep going.
The answer is, "Yes, you're right, it won't work." So save your time, save your money and read the article Weight Loss and Good Timing.
Here are the client responses that win the day:
- Wow, that's really nuts!
- Well... homework at my age. And are you really going to check them? That'll be fun :)
- I mean, it's weird, but ultimately why not - I'm in.
- I can't wait to see what you guys come up with next!!!
As I write in the introduction to my Nutritional Counselling - my goal is not to sell fish. My goal is to teach my clients to fish. That is, to understand how the human body works in relation to food. What belongs on your plate so that you can maintain the weight you want to be in the long term. So that you can finally stop behaving mindlessly - doing something over and over again that you don't want to do and that you know is not good for you in the long run: eating the wrong foods, even though you told yourself you wouldn't eat it anymore (I'm quitting tomorrow, you know...).
SUGGESTION: Try one of the homework assignments I work on with my clients. For 5 days, write a list. The list will contain ONLY the foods you think you shouldn't eat. It doesn't matter the reason, you just know that food shouldn't be on your plate.
The list will contain of 3 columns: 1. Date and time / 2. The name of the BAD FOOD I eat / 3. The situation in which I consume this food
It is important to always have something to write down and follow the rule "What goes in your mouth, you write down - immediately!". You will never get it together in the evening. And we need to see the imprint of reality in black and white.
What will you find? The results are often surprising:
- Schedule: you'll find that you're hitting dessert at the exact same time every day. Or that you eat THAT more often than you ever realized.
- A specific food: you find that you have one specific food that you can't resist (and at any given time).
- Situation: you find that your eating is tied to, say, your boss - you have to calm down every time you leave his office. Or you need to reward yourself. Or it's necessary to get on your nerves.
Remember that your body reflects 80% of your daily activity. That's why you can tell an Arnold Schwarzenegger on the street from a sumo wrestler or a gymnast - each of them is doing 80% of what shapes their body on a daily basis. If we want to change our bodies, we have to change our daily habits.
We can start together or try an online course - at your own pace in the comfort of your own home.